Religious Education: Teaching In Catholic Schools
Course Code: EW18TCSZ1
Availability: Course is full
NOTE: THIS CERTIFICATE COURSE IS OPEN TO FACULTY OF EDUCATION STUDENTS IN A CONSECUTIVE PROGRAM OR CONCURRENT STUDENTS WHO ARE IN THE FINAL YEAR OF THEIR PROGRAM. THIS COURSE IS NOT EQUIVALENT TO THE RELIGIOUS EDUCATION, PART 1 ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION. THIS IS NOT A MANDATORY COURSE FOR THE COMPLETION OF THE B. ED BUT IS ADVISED IF SEEKING EMPLOYMENT WITH A CATHOLIC DSB. DSB'S MAY REQUIRE CANDIDATES TO BE PRACTICING ROMAN/EASTERN RITE CATHOLICS.
This course is intended to introduce pre-service Teacher Candidates to professional practice and to extend knowledge and skills in the delivery of Ontario Catholic curriculum. The course is 36 hours in length fully online.
Critical to the implementation of this course is the modeling of a positive learning environment that reflects care, professional knowledge, ethical practice, leadership and ongoing learning. This course answers the question, "What do I need to know to begin teaching in Ontario Catholic Schools?"
Consequently, this course:
- promotes an understanding of teaching as a vocation rooted in the call to Christian ministry
- creates an awareness of the context of Ontario Catholic education
- develops skills that enhance the integration of Catholic Graduate Expectations in the classroom and throughout the school
- fosters professional knowledge of Religious and Family Life Education, and
- assists teachers in the acquisition of the theological background and skills necessary for the implementation of the Religious Education and Family Life curriculum.
- Teacher candidates are advised that Catholic school boards may require teachers to be practicing Roman/Eastern Rite Catholics
Course Fee: $200 + HST
Cancellation Policy: Withdrawals are effective on the date signed withdrawal notice is received and course fees refunded subject to $50 non-refundable amount. No withdrawals or refunds after start date.